Skin became dark after using hydroquinoine based cream. What should I do?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor! I'm a 26 yr old girl in Delhi. I have a serios skin problem..my skin has become very very dark than it used to be...Around three yrs back i ws using hydroquinoine based cream. and i used it for almost a year..when i stopped using it, my skin has become much darker than it ws...also, wud like to tell u that i combination skin type.
pl suggest wht shud i do??? I'm very tensed abt my skin condition.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Long term use of the hydroquinone based cream can cause condition like in your case.
My advise to you would be to maintain strict photoprotection. A sunscreen of SPf 50 should be used routinely.it should be used routimely evry 3 hours during the day starting at 9 AM in morning.
You can use steroids free/ hydroquinone free skin lightening cream like Melaglow cream daily at night time.
Also vitamin c tablets and citrus fruits like lemon juice daily will help a lot.
An antioxidant like capsule derantox one per day will be helpful.
Some clinic based procedures like chemical peeling with glycolic acid and also microdermabrasion will be helpful.the procedures are available at skin clinics.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr XXXXXXX
MD dermatology.