Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

198 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Sir My age is 36 yes & my spouse age

Answered by
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar


Practicing since :1992

Answered : 2151 Questions

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: Sir
My age is 36 yes & my spouse age is 34 yes.My wife is obese with 80 kg & 5.3" height. Recently on 16 December 2018 we have terminated foetus in 16 week due to high risk of trisomy 21.Reports are attached.In first NT scan hypoplastic nasal bone & single umblical artery was found . Subsequently NIPT was done as non- invasive but result was no- conclusive.Repeat NIPT was suggested but due to approach of 04 month doctor suggested if we wait further surgical termination of foetus through operations may be required.So due to anxiety & panic I decided to go for termination of foetus.Foetus was delivered vaginally by inducing pain.Very tough time for our family & very sorrow ful to see foetus.
I also think Aminocentesis should be preferred by me instead of NIPT.But due to lack of awareness & slight fear of my wife we go for nipt.
I have 1 7 year old son & with new energy I want 2nd issue but I want to rule out the possibility of chance of down syndrome again.
Please guide.I have heard karotype of parents may be done to rule out chromosomal abnormalities.What are the chances of repeat down syndrome.To whom I should meet Genetic specialist ( very rare in Ahmedabad) or Gyanocologist.
Please suggest if you know who will be the best discipline of medical to guide us.
My wife was suffering from High BP ; meta card 50 mg prior to conceive & I am taking venix xr 37.5 mg for anxiety prior to conceive.My wife was taking folic acid prior to conceive . However it is note worthy to mention I could not do confirmatory test of down syndrome . Doctor suggesed nipt non conclusive also some time indicate abnormalities
Please guide & wife is very eager for 2nd child.
First child in December 2011 ; miscarriage in 2015 & termination of foetus in December 2018.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Chromosome study, prenatal vitamins.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
I welcome you to HCM virtual clinic.
I have understood your concern and I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

Sorry to hear about your previous pregnancy losses.
Please do not panic.

With the history of previous Downs syndrome risk of developing it in next pregnancy is higher than usual.
But we need to follow the protocols for diagnosis for the same.
It's very important to diagnose such disorders as there is no treatment for genetic diseases.

I will suggest you to get chromosome study for both you beforehand. This will help to prove normalcy on the part of parents.

I will suggest both of you to start with vitamin B 6,B 12, Folic acid supplements on regular basis.
Opt for a healthy diet and regular exercise regime.

I hope this answer helps you
Please feel free to communicate with me again.

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 5 hours later
Thank you for reply.
I have heard that chance of down syndrome decreases on next issue that may be my misconception.
To whom should i consult for prescribing chromosomal test Gynecologist or Genetic specialist. Does Such tests are available in all lab.?
How chromosomal testing is done,By blood testing or any biopsy is required.?
If you know any doctor in Ahmadabad may please suggest,
Please suggest tablet contain B6,B12 & folic acid.It should be taken regularly by me & wife or with continuing 2 month & tapping 1 month
Does BP medicine or any medicine cause chromosomal problem
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
Genetic laboratory, blood tests, supplements, healthy lifestyle

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
Thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back to me.

I will suggest you to approach genetic consultant for getting chromosome study done. It is not done by Gynecologist.
The genetic laboratory will work with blood samples of both of you and will give you reports about your chromosome status

Secondly, you both can start with multimineral and multivitamin tablets like ALL 9 BOH, on daily basis.
This will help to prevent various complications during conception and pregnancy and childbirth.

It will not be wrong to suggest you both again to opt for a healthy diet and regular exercise regime

Aim for body mass index of 23. Include fruits and vegetables and salads in daily diet. Avoid refined sugar and deep fried foods and bakery products.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to communicate with me again.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on