Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Sinus infection. What is your opinion on surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2544 Questions
I have had bad sinus infection since August. tried several strong antibodies with no help. have had CT scans, a Spinal leak scan, and a MRI. They say the only way to get rid of this is sinus surgery, to drain the infection sacks the MRI and scans show I have. they plan to do Bi lat, Maxillary, Antrostomies will cultuies O, complete Ethmoidectomies. What is your opinion on this surgery?

Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 49 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Sinusitis lasting for more than six weeks in spite of adequate medical treatment is termed as chronic sinusitis. Antibiotics will not work in fungal infections.

2. You may share your CT and MRI images (not the reports) by e-mail to YYYY@YYYY with 'Attn. Dr. Sumit Bhatti' as the subject line. You also have a feature to upload your reports/pictures yourself on the right side of query page. Please utilize that. This will enable me to provide you with an accurate assessment for further medication or surgical options.

3. If you have been advised a mini-FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery), it will provide 80-90% relief in cases of Maxillary and Ethmoidal sinusitis.

4. You may also share any detailed clinical examination reports and detailed medication prescriptions for review.

Awaiting your reply to suggest you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor