Since this afternoon I have had vomiting and the runs.

Question
Since this afternoon I have had vomiting and the runs. This has continued into tonight.
Anything I try to eat or drink comes right out I have no fever.
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off solids, fluid replacement, probiotics

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common cause for vomiting and diarrhea is an infection of the gastrointestinal tract. It can be due to viral or bacterial infection and normally lasts only a few days though can last up to 2 weeks in some persons (not commonly)

Treatment--(1)NO EATING-- the stomach and intestines cannot absorb food, they are inflamed/irritated and food worsens this inflammation. Food is restarted when 4 hours have passed with no diarrhea or vomiting.

When restarted, very small amounts of dry foods such as biscuits or bread , can be used.

(2)Fluid is fine once it is not sweet, sugar also worsens diarrhea- oral rehydration fluids or a very dilute sports drink (to dilute the sugar), can be used to help replace both fluids and electrolytes

if neither of these are available can use ginger or peppermint tea or water.

The very important thing about drinking is SIPS. If you use too much, it irritates the stomach and causes vomiting.
Drink 1 tsp to 1 tbs every 5 mins for 1 hour, if this is tolerated then the amount can be increased.

Replacing fluids can actually help the vomiting by decreasing acid content.

(3)Probiotics, either on their own or in yogurts

(4)dramamine or peptobismol can help with the vomiting

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

(3)