Signs of kidney failure?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: what are the signs of kidney failure? I am 74 years old with low B.P. I WALK TWICE A DAY ABOUT 2 MILES
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rising Blood Urea is sign of kidney failure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have problems related to general health.
Following are the main functions of the kidneys.
1)To regulate water and electrolyte balance in the body.
2) To clear waste products from the body through urine
3)To promote production of Red Blood Cells by bone marrow.

In a initial stage there may not be any symptoms of kidney failure but as disease advances following symptoms do start to appear.
1) Lethargy,Weakness,loss of appetite due to anaemia.,tiredness.etc
2) Rising level of urea and creatinine in blood.
3) Generalised swelling of the body due to water retention.
4) Presence of protein in urine.
5) Reduced urine output.
6) High level of potassium may lead to cardiac problems.
Please consult qualified Nephrologist for clinical evaluation and detail investigations to confirm the cause and extent of renal failure and further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.