Shunt was inserted due to colloid cyst blockage in third ventricle. Will colloid cyst cause hydrocephalus?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Physicians: I believe that I should present the issue of hydrocephalus that had developed because the colliod cyst blocked the third ventricle. The Surgeon had to insert a shunt to bypass the obstruction. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You should go ahead.Surgeon has given right advice Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Yes,definitely you should go ahead. Colloid cysts are relatively rare findings and it may cause hydrocephalus if it is large in size. Its commonest site is foramen of monro and this site is more prone to obstruction. If hydrocephalus is more ,then shunting is the choice. Surgeon has given the right advice. It is advised in those cases where removal risk is high or there is recurrence of cyst. Other minimal invasive methods are endoscopic removal. But it has limited role in hydrocephalus.So,you can follow surgeon's advice. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX