Shunt surgeries done. Noticed numbness in legs and arm. Is this normal?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: i have had many shunt surgeries due to scaring of the brain and had an XXXXXXX shunt placed on my spine but my legs are numb and from time to time my arm is this normal? or sometging i need to look into
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 37 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious neurological problem.

The numbness of legs and arms can be normally seen in many people, especially if that part is pressed while sitting, sleeping, etc.

However, in your case, if the symptoms persist for long, we should exclude any compression of nerves arising from spine. If these symptoms are transient, there is no need to worry.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad