Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Showing symptoms of rectal prolapse. Scared it may be inflicted with a sex toy. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
Hi... i have a rather embarrassing problem and I'm rather terrified. I think I'm showing symptoms of a (hopefully) minor rectal prolapse. there's nothing actually coming out of me, my online searching has shown this may be an intussusception. The only reason I'm even aware is I'm afraid it may be self inflicted with a sex toy I've used rather frequently the past few months.

I'd researched before hand that injury from anal sex is extremely rare and often not serious so I wasn't particularly careful. When I started to notice some strange bowel activity like constantly passing gas and minor constipation I decided to examine myself with my fingers and a mirror. Looking at the diagrams online I'm almost sure this is what I'm experiencing. There's visible tissue moving towards my anus when I push my pelvic muscles and I can feel tissue expanding and contracting inside with my fingers in a way that was certainly not normal before. I highly doubt it's hemorrhoids, I have no pain or bleeding, though there was mucous while I was examining myself.

I guess my question is that everything I'm reading indicates surgery as the only option for treatment. I have no health insurance currently so this is not really an option. I don't even have a general doctor to go to, and there's a very real issue of me not being able to tell anyone in my life about this. I need to know what I need to do to attempt to resolve this without surgery, or if there's even any hope of that.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would suggest you that whatever history you are giving is non specific and can occur in a variety of rectal disorder .

Whether surgery is required or not will be considered only after the diagnosis is established . In my opinion you are suffreing from rectal prolapse . But nothing can be said before examination .

I would advise you to see a surgeon for this problem . Till then have a high fibre diet , drink lots of water as it will help in softening of stools minimising the trauma to anal canal .You can take stool softeners also .

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor