Shoulder hit the ground. Now having pain. Should I go to doctor?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a fall two and one half weeks ago. I tripped in the dark and fell face down onto tarmac, I think my left shoulder hit the ground first, then the left side of my face, causing abrasions to face and left ear. I have had pain in my l/shoulder and down my arm since. It is worse at days end, after chores etc. The inside of my upper arm hurts also. Is it just a "waiting game" for me, or do you think it possible I should see the doctor. I realize a fall can take a few weeks to recover from, but it is impinging on daily life. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in your shoulder after the fall with painful movements of the shoulder is likely to be due to a MRI scan of the area done to detect the exact extent and type of injury so that specific treatment can be started.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.