Should we increase the quantity of Galact granules or switch back to Leptaden for improving lactation?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: We are blessed with baby boy on XXXXXXX 8th. Since then my wife had less breast milk. She started taking leptaden and milk quantity increased from 25ml to 60-70 ml and became stable. Then we switched to galact granules but after 2 doses of galact granules quantity decreased to 40-45 ml. Should we take more galact granules and wait or switch back to leptaden. Child's requirement is around 110 ml per feed.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

The expression of breast milk is dependent on several factors like the nutritional status of the mother, stress, infections, adequate hydration etc. Though both the preparations you used for improving lactation are ayurvedic, the constituents are different. This makes the pharmacological effects to vary.

In the current scenario, I think you can wait for a day or two instead of switching over medications too frequently. Apart from this, please make sure the mother gets adequate rest and good nutrition. If there is no improvement, please check with your consultant.

Certain precautions like avoidance of non-vegetarian diet, feeding on both sides during each feed have to be followed while using Galact granules. Maintain adequate hydration.

Please check with the baby's pediatrician if the feeds are not sufficient.

Hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana