Should vaccination be taken after drinking unboiled milk?

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello doctor today I drank XXXXXXX milk from an shop and the shopman added milk to XXXXXXX syrup and when I asked whether the milk has been heated he replied no and I drank the XXXXXXX miok now I am confused whether I should take the vaccines.i had full vaccines of 5 doses 8 months back.so I need your advice.
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

The milk will be pasteurized and rabies virus is very sensitive to heat and if any rabies virus it will be destroyed.

As you have taken a complete course of post exposure prophylaxis (PEP) against rabies nothing to worry.

I would assure you nothing will happen. You are safe and please forget all your incidents and be happy.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 3 hours later
The milk was not boiled and even if it was not pasteurized would it be a need for worry? Rabies from cow milk is a theorotical possiblity? I heard even drinking of milk from rabid cow the exposure is only theorotically possible and no cases has been recorded.
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,

Drinking milk of a rabid cow can transmit rabies, if you have any break in the oral mucosa.

As you have taken 5 shots of anti rabies vaccine recently you will have protective antibody titres, which will destroy the rabies virus if you have drank the milk of a rabid cow also.

So the chance of getting rabies in your case is not possible.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 2 hours later
Thank you for your answer doctor,i read that transmission of rabies from cow milk is not recorded and it is only theorotically possible,is it true?And my vaccination was 8-9 months back.And if u had not put vaccine would you have advised meto take vaccine for this incident?Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Transmission through milk is possible

Detailed Answer:
It is my privilege to answer your query,

Drinking a milk of rabid cow can transmit rabies. The rabies virus will be excreted in the milk of a confirmed rabies cow.

As you have taken all the shots of anti rabies vaccine 8- 9 months back you will have protcetive titres to fight against rabies virus. The vaccination which you have taken will give protection for 5 years.

If you would have drunk the milk of confirmed rabid cow then only I would have suggested you to take anti rabies vaccine otherwise I would have counseled them not to take vaccine
Thank you..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D