Should one avoid cruciferous vegetables while on thyroid medication?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
I take a low dose of levothyroxine, 0.025mcg, and understand that you're not supposed to eat cruciferous vegetables when taking thyroid medication. I like these veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sproutts, XXXXXXX etc. What is the worst that can happen by eating these veggies on occasion. My vegetable intake now is very limited and boring, and how is this healthy? These vegetables are good for you and now I can't eat them?

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism treatment:

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern.
There is no medical guideline that suggests not to take cruciferous vegetables while you are under levothyroxine treatment.
The most common diagnosis of hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid is Hashimoto thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease. It means that your body produces some antibodies that destroy the thyroid gland and as a result it does not produce thyroid hormone, that is why you take the hormone orally, to substitude the thyroid function.
There is no diet that can prevent the destruction of the gland by these antiboides.
So, all you have to do is to take the levothyroxine regularly and check TSH every 6 months.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta