Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Should immediate medical advice be seeked for swelling of testicles after hernia surgery?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9579 Questions
My husband had a groin hernia repair done yesterday. This morning he coughed really hard and now his left sac (sorry) is now completely full like it was before his surgery. As it is thanksgiving today his doctor that did the surgery is not in the clinic but he will be tomorrow (Friday). Do I need to take him to the ER today or can it wait till tomorrow, when we can see his doctor?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 days later
Brief Answer: It is due to post operative oedma Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your husband who has undergone surgery for hernia two days back has developed swelling in the sac following coughing. This is most likely to b due to two factors post operative Orchitis and oedema of the sub- cutaneous tissue due to surgical trauma. This is natural and is common to have swelling of the testicle in post operative period. There is nothing to be worried about . Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily It will get resolved in a week and as the wound heals up, Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil. .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor