Should i take anti rabies injection after a dog bite?

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been met with an accident 5 days back , a dog came on my bike and I hit,,, I got some injuries because of the skid... Iam not sure whether dog bite me or not... is it still safe to take anti rabies injection? please advise
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Anti rabies vaccine is safe to take

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

If there is any doubt that dog has licked, scratched or bitten you when you met with an accident, it is safe to take anti rabies vaccines. There is no harm in taking atleast three doses of anti rabies vaccine on days 0, 3 and 7.

The anti rabies vaccines are being given as pre exposure prophylaxis for individuals at risk of exposure to animals.

Still even after 6 days following your accident, you can take this anti rabies vaccine.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 21 hours later
Thanks Doctor. Last clarification, on the day of the accident I have taken the TT injection. yesterday I took the rabies vaccine. in the net it asks for Immunoglobulin injection. is it needed?. please clarify. thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If bleeding following bite ARS is require.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query,

If there is a confirmed bite which has led to bleeding from the site, according to WHO recommendation you need to take anti rabies serum or Rabies immunoglobulins (RIGs) in and around the wound.

If the bite is not confirmed, you can take three doses of anti rabies vaccine, which will provide immunity to protect you against development of disease.
Thank you.