Should i stop thyronorm post child birth?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: i have given birth to a baby boy 3 months back. during second month of pregnancy it was found that my thyroid was 6 and so i was given thyronome. i was tested in 7th month and thyroid level was 2 but i continued taking medicine. now when i have delivered when can i stop taking thyronome
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Check the TSH and free T4 now. This test does not require fasting and can be done at any time of day or night.

If the results of these tests are normal ie TSH in the range of 0.4 to 4.2 then there is no need to continue thyronorm.

However, if you plan another pregnancy it is ideal to have TSH less than 2.5 in the first three months, less than 3 in the next months and less than 3.5 in the last 3 months.
Keeping TSH in this range may require treatment with thyronorm.

These issues are best handled by a qualified endocrinologist so I strongly suggest you see one.
He or she may also order thyroid auto antibodies like anti thyroid peroxidase (TPO) and anti thyroglobulin antibodies. The outcome of these tests will also give an idea as to whether thyronorm should be continued or not

Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 14 hours later
thanks doctor
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are Welcome

Detailed Answer:

You are Welcome. Please close and rate the answers.