Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Should i get tested for HIV inspite of having protected sex?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2448 Questions
Hi, i had protected sex with a thai prostitute 10 days back. I did some fingering and touched her boobs with the fingers and then licked her boobs.i have a burning sesnation in my penis sometimes and a little itching around my groin. I wanted to know if i should get tested for hiv?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, only to remove the anxiety Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Healthcare Magic, I have gone through your history and understand your concern, as you had protected sex with the prostitute chance of getting HIV will not be there. If you have any abrasions on the finger and inserting same finger in vagina of HIV positive female, chance of getting HIV will be there,but it is extremely unlikely.HIV is in blood and vaginal fluids, so theoretically it could pass from the vagina into a cut, but again it's unlikely. There has been no reported case of HIV transmission by fingering and hand to genital contact. Regarding touching the boobs with the same fingers used for fingering and liking the boobs, the HIV virus is very sensitive to oxygen as soon as it comes into contact of external air it will be destroyed and HIV virus can not survive for a second outside the body, so chance of getting HIV by this way is not possible. The symptoms of burning sensation in penis and itching around anus is may be due to other infections which should be evaluated by physical examination and lab investigations. I would suggest you to undergo HIV testing, only because if you have any cuts or abrasions on the fingers used for fingering and if the prostitute is HIV positive, it helps to confirm the HIV status and remove the anxiety associated with HIV. Hope I have cleared all your doubts, if you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should i get tested for HIV inspite of having protected sex? 22 hours later
What tests should i undergo and in what time period?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: CMIA test Detailed Answer: Hello, Chemiluminiscent Microparticle Immunoassay (CMIA) test can done to detect P24 antigen of HIV and antibodies to HIV 1/2. P 24 antigen test which is useful in the immediate short term i.e. 2-4 weeks after infection and HIV 1/2 test after 90 days of possible exposure. I Hope your results will be negative for HIV infection, as the possibility of HIV infection in your condition is very very remote. Still if you have any query, feel free to ask. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor