Should i get a rabies vaccine after vaccinated dog bite?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hi, my dog scratched my face with his teeth while playing. It wasn't an angry bite, and it's not deep at all, just a scratch. It bled about two three drops. He's 11 months old and up to date with his vaccinations. I got a tetanus shot around 5 months back. Should I get anti rabies vaccine also?
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you need to take anti rabies vaccine

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Dog is a reservoir of rabies virus and it can transmit rabies, which is 100% fatal but 100% preventable by proper and adequate treatment.

As you were bit by your pet dog, I would suggest you to observe the dog for 10 days along with active immunization with anti rabies vaccine on days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28.

If the dog is healthy after 10 days of bite you can discontinue last two doses of anti rabies vaccine of days 14 and 28.

There is no need of Inj TT as you have taken 5 months back.

Thank you