Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Should i discontinue taking Lamictal inspite of having hives?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Answered : 11 Questions
I was taking Lamictal per my Neurologist and was advised if I started breaking out in hives to discontinue and inform her. I have been unable to get in touch with Dr. XXXXXXX at Northwest Florida Regional Hospital and slowly wined off of this drug and started taking the previous one which was Topamax but fifty mg., in the morn., and evening is not doing the job. I was taking 100 both morning and v=evening when I left UAB under DR. Knowlton's care but he is no there and I took Dr. XXXXXXX as my new Neurologist, can you advise me what to do? I can't sleep due to the auras no staying under control, I have not had any seizures since 2003 of August after having surgery to remove the damaged area.
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. A.S. Keerthi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Go back to Lamictal if auras are better controlled Detailed Answer: Hi, From the information provided by you, I learn that you are a patient of epilepsy who underwent surgery for the same in Aug 2003. But I do not have the details as to what type of epilepsy you had, what was the seizure semiology(events chronology during the attack) and what surgery you underwent. The choice of antiepileptic drug depends on the type of epilepsy, apart from your other clinical profile. If your seizures/auras are better controlled with Lamictal than with Topamax, it is better to go back to it. And if it's still causing those hives there are other drugs which may be of help to you like carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine. These medicines need to be monitored closely by a physician. It won't be an easy task for you to do that without your physician's help. So I recommend that you get back to the doctor whenever possible. If you have any further queries please feel free to get back to me. Dr. Keerthi consultant neurologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor