Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Should i be concerned with these blood test values?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3026 Questions
My mother-in-law has an ESR count of 95, WBC count of 12800 and hemoglobin count of 10.8. Is there cause to worry?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs Evaluation. Provide me more details. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Yes , there is some problem. 1. ESR is raised - means there is some inflammation going on in the body. 2. Hemoglobin is Slightly low - Anemia is there. (Anemia can also cause a rise in ESR , but not this much) 3. WBC Count is also slightly raised - Might be because of some infection. I need to know following details : 1. What cancer she had and what treatment she got for that? 2. You must be having previous investigations too , please share them with us. 3. Any other medical disease she has? 4. Any joint pain especially small joints like of hands and wrist , oral ulcer , any frequent redning of eyes , any rash?? 5. Any cough with expectoration , Fever , Weight loss? 6. Is she is diabetic or hypertensive? 7. Need to see her Chest Xray , Kidney and Liver Function tests. Also , if you have any of her other investigations like Ultrasound Abdomen , Iron Profile , Blood Picture, please share. I need to know all this because ESR is significantly high. If you trust your laboratory for reports , then there is some problem , that we need to find as there is a long list of causes of such a high ESR. Please review with the answers of questions i have asked and all her investigations old and new. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you have any other query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor