Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Should i be concerned about swellings in the sub mandibular area?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 959 Questions
Mi have something that I can feel in the sunmandibular area on the right. I can feel it when I palmate the outside. It's next to the notch in the mandible right in front of the ame of the mandible. It's soft and seems fairly large. Can't tell if it been getting larger but it seems so. It seems oblong in shape. I have seen a few doctors who said they feel something but they didnt seem too concerned about it. I am worried though. What could this be? Not painful but I do occasionally hear. Swishing sound in that ear. This had been going on since mid January. I forgot to mention that since I have seen a doctor last ( within the last week) I have had a pretty nasty cold. Would that make lymph nodes on only one side swell? I'm concerned because when we did a cephalometric X-ray with the orthodontist is showed something that looks like it could be next to or on the carotid at the C-2 area. Does this correspond with the area so close to my jaw bone? I have shown the X-ray to the doctors but they didnt seem too concerned. No referral or ultrasounds. Is this worrisome? I worry about cancer or carotid aneurism. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Have you tried a course of antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, You are correct in being alert about swellings in the sub mandibular area. But i want to reassure you that 90% of them are benign swellings. 1) Any infection in the corresponding area drained by those lymph nodes like tonsillitis, gum or dental infection or even gland infection can swell lymph nodes. 2) If it is a carotid aneurysm, it would pulsate which can be easily appreciated by your fingers. 3) A cancer somewhere would keep on growing with increasing pain and would have other symptoms like weight loss and anorexia (usually). Have you tried a course of antibiotics and anti histamines? if not, you should try them, wait for 1 or 2 weeks and then go for further investigatons. If you have queries, please don't hesitate to post. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor