Should hysterectomy be undergone when suffering from pre-cancerous polyp?
The biopsy report is critical to determining whether hysterectomy is needed
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Could you let me have more details regarding the polyp please ?
There are various kinds, and all of them have distinct risks of developing into endometrial carcinoma later on.
Could you upload the histopathology report ?
Also, do you have any family history of breast / uterine cancers / colon cancers ?
There is a definite genetic corelation between colon cancers and uterine cancers, but the relationship between prior breast cancer and subsequent uterine cancer is not yet strongly established.
People with a history of breast cancer may also be at increased risk for endometrial cancer, but this is difficult to determine as many of the risk factors for breast and endometrial cancer overlap. As of yet, there has not been any association found between genes associated with breast cancer, such as the BRCA1 gene, and endometrial cancer, though studies are ongoing.
If you do not have am ominous family history, then I do not think you should go in for a formal hysterectomy.
However, I would like to look at the biopsy report of the polyp first.
Then I could comment in a better fashion.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Better to get the genetic testing first.
Okay, so you have a high familial risk of cancers.
It makes sense to go for the genetic testing first.
IF that comes out positive, you can opt for a formal hysterectomy.
Can you get the genetic testing done first ?
I think it is better to wait for the gentic testing.
Yes, please upload the polyp report, as of now I cannot see it.
And yes, do not rush into any surgery until the genetic testing comes in.
Better to postpone the surgery until the 20th, as you will then go in with more information and understanding.
There is no medical emergency here.
I am not much for the other option of having just the polyp removal now, and then taking a call on the hysterectomy later on.
Better subject yourself to surgical risks and anesthetic risks only once.
Waiting for the reports to be uploaded.
Can you upload it please ?
I would actually prefer it if you could upload it, please.
And what symptoms did you have , how was this diagnosed ?
Kindly upload the report.
Okay, then can you upload the exact report, scan and upload it please ?
This is XXXXXXX did you get the path report my husband sent you?
not sure, want this taken out asap. Definitely not on the 12th, would like the surgery May 20 if genetic testing is back. When I asked the surgeons nurse about having a hysterectomy during the same surgery she asked the surgeon and he said not to have anything else done unless I was having problems. So I didn't really like the answer to that; I'm trying to avoid a possible recurrence in the future.
After you read colonoscopy report please let me know if this surgery still isn't a medical emergency. Thanks
THis is not a medical emergency in the least.
Thank you for uploading all the reports in detail.
First of all, this is NOT a medical emergency at all.
You can easily wait for your genetic test report, so that you can make an informed decision.
There is a polypoid mass, and it is pre cancerous, but nothing is going to flare up in 2 weeks time.
You cannot decide for or against a hysterectomy till you know your risk of having a genital tract malignancy, which only the genetic testing will tell you.
SO it makes all the sense in the world to wait for it, else you will have to go by your instinct.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ovarian cancer after hysterectomy
- Hysterectomy cervical polyps
- Cancerous polyps in uterus resulting in hysterectomy
- Pre hysterectomy exercises
- Cervical polyps after hysterectomy
- Vaginal polyp after hysterectomy
- Cervical cancer after hysterectomy
- When should i poop after hysterectomy
- Hysterectomy and vaginal polyps
- Polyp removal after hysterectomy