Should an ENT specialist be consulted now for blood in mucus after recovering from sinusitis?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was diagnosed with Sinusitis about 3 weeks ag58o and finished anti-biotic on 1/12/18. Then, several days later, came down w/ head cold, cough and headaches. Thought I was recovering several days. Still have dark bloody mucous. However, feeling light headed and glassy eyed again. My doctor ordered a CT scan of sinuses on Friday. Should I switch over to an ENT at this point?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should consult an apt ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through your query thoroughly and understood your problem. I am of the opinion that you should consult an apt ENT specialist at the earliest.

The symptoms described by you seem to be of Acute Sinusitis, refractory to the present medical management. The bloody mucus could be secondary to the inflamed sinus lining and the congested nasal mucosa.

CT scan of the paranasal sinuses will give us all the information required about the status of the nose and its sinuses.

Apart from that, I would suggest you the following:
1. Drink frequent sips of warm water
2. Do steam inhalation 2-3 times a day for 3-5 minutes.
3. Use saline nasal spray as and when required, to reduce the mucus production and nasal congestion.
4. A mucolytic such as ambroxol/bromhexine/acetylcysteine will be highly helpful in thinning out the tenacious secretions.
5. Avoid coffee/chilled food and beverages/smoking, if any.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later
Thank your for your answers. With regard to the steam inhalation, I have started using a Neti Pot as of yesterday and that seems to have alleviated some of the symptoms and have been using a saline spray all along.
What is a mucolytic? Are there certain brands that you would suggest.
I have tried to not drink coffee but do not understand what you mean with respect to chilled food.
I have been drinking green tea and will likely not be able to access warm water when traveling.

Lee J. Hirsh
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
The drug names have been mentioned in my earlier response...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

1. I’m sorry, during online consultation I’ll not be able to mention the trade name of the medicines as it amounts to endorsement. In my earlier response, I have mentioned about the drug names, you can get any one of those medicines from the pharmacy. It will be available over the counter. Mucolytic helps in lightening the secretions and clearing the nasal clogging.

2. Netipot is a good technique of clearing the nose and the sinuses. Please continue the same treatment. Steam inhalation is also very beneficial.

3. Green tea is good for clearing the nasal secretions, you can continue with that.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Wish you speedy recovery.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T