Should additional calcium supplement be given to an infant?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
My 10.5 month old son has got 2 teeth now. Can i give him some calcium tablets or syrup which can help him. Or just milk should be sufficient? His pediatrician told me to gve just milk and no calcium 2 months back. Pls suggest. Thanks in advance , XXXX
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Additional Calcium supplement not required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Supplemental Calcium is not required in adequately feed baby. Calcium content of milk is sufficient to meet the daily requirements of calcium.
Giving a good diet is important.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: Should additional calcium supplement be given to an infant? 8 hours later
Can i give him calcarea phos as prescribed by other doctors during teething. I have heard lot of doctors prescribing calcarea phos. Is there any harm of giving this supplement if he is not sufficiently fed. If yes how much dose can be given and till when? Thanks in advance

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Two tablet twice a day

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

Dear Ms XXXXXXX

Calcerea Phos is a Homeopathic preparation. It is empirically given by many practitioners during teething. The exact benefits are not proven. Ideally 2 tablets dissolved in water are given twice a day

Best regards
Dr Deepak