Should a PET scan be done with history of cancer?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I just had surgery for a melanoma (stage 1) in May. I ad a Stage 2 melanoma in 2004 and they also removed 2 lymph nodes. I had an abnormal mammogram and ultrasound last July and again in December and am getting ready to go next week for my follow-up mammogram and ultrasound. given my cancer history should I also do a PET scan? A few years after my original melanoma a Dr sent me for a PET scan and I am wondering if that would be a good idea now?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

First of all please note that after 10 years from cancer diagnosis we assume that a patient is completely cured if there is no reccurence in that time. Moreover melanoma gives mets to lungs in first row. So your mammogram results and possible breast tumor is completely not associated with melanoma history.
That is why, at this stage of the diagnostic PET is not the most important test.
I do not know what was in the mammogram, but if the doctors want to repeat it, please follow theirs advice. If there is a lump in the breast, biopsy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.