• question-icon

Should Rabipur vaccine be stored in 2 to 8 degrees temperature?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have read that rabipur should be stored in 2 to 8 degree Celsius temperature, i took my first vaccine 2 hours after buying from the medical store during which it was at temperature much greater than this range. I have read somewhere that the vaccine contains inactivated rabies virus. Although it may sound a bit ridiculous but I am getting worried that since the temperature was higher than the storage temperature it won't have negatively impacted.....i.e.... In this temperature the rabies virus would have got activated and entered my body. Forgive me for the lack of knowledge.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are good!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this concern related to rabies vaccine. The temperature recommendations is to ensure the vaccine remains potent and not that the virus can get activated and cause an illness. Also, two hours is a short time for the vaccine to get spoiled from any out of range temperature storage. Furthermore, vaccines have a temperature sensitive marker which is inspected before vaccination to make sure that the vaccine is still good. Whoever administered this vaccine must have clearly validated all these security measures before doing so. You are fine and please follow up with the recommended schedule to get fully vaccinated: You need at least three doses within a month!

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 34 minutes later
Thanks for the clarification, I was getting pretty worried that it would have any negative impact. I have taken 4 rabies vaccine. Except for the first one all three were given within 45 mins from time of purchase. At the shop vaccines were kept inside fridge, only after I bought them they were kept at higher temperature. Any other points I should keep in mind?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO need for further worries!

Detailed Answer:

Like mentioned above, there is no reason for further worries. With 4 vaccines already, you are fully vaccinated.

I wish you well.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah