• question-icon

Should Rabipur vaccine be stored in 2 to 8 degrees temperature?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have read that rabipur( rabies vaccine) should be stored in 2 to 8 degrees temperature, i took my first vaccine 2 hours after buying from the medical store during which it was at temperature much greater than this range. I have read somewhere that the vaccine contains inactivated rabies virus. Although it may sound a bit ridiculous but I am getting worried that since the temperature was higher than the storage temperature it won't have negatively impacted...i.e.... In this temperature the rabies virus would have got activated and entered my body and vaccine would have done almost opposite of what it is supposed to do. Please forgive me for the lack of knowledge.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No it won't happen.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings from Dr Divakara P.

Well your query is very genuine and I can understand your concern.

But it won't happen as you have said it . A higher temperature for more than 2 hours may lead to vaccine being less effective or ineffective , that's all.

It won't cause activation of virus and lead to Rabies. Definitely not.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 35 hours later
Thanks for the answer, I was getting pretty worried that it would have any negative effects.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
HI

You are welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Divakara