Should Piriton dosage be decided by consulting with a doctor?

Diabetologist
Question
Hi, I gave my 10 year old son 7 ml of piriton, he's on the small size for a 10 year old (10 in august 2017), should I call an out of hours doctor...?
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.

First, kindly avoid self medication, the practice can be dangerous.

Second, yes calling a doctor is always better. A doctor can pick up side effects that the child may be having that you may not have noted.

Third, ideally we need to know the weight of the child to calculate the dose. Still, children aged 6 to 12 years should be given one 5ml spoonful of Piriton syrup every four to six hours, when needed to relieve symptoms. Do not give more than six 5ml doses in 24 hours.
(Source:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/allergy-and-asthma/a7354/piriton-chlorphenamine/

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/13691)

Please feel free to ask a follow up query on related doubt if needed.
Best of luck,
Dr Mittal