Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

138 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Should Lisinopril be taken thrice a day to stabilize BP?

Answered by
Dr. Ilir Sharka


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 5881 Questions

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my husband is 75 and takes lisinopril 5 mg 2 x day. he is dizzy now and has bloodshot eyes..his BP at 11 am was 151/99 and at 1:30pm it was 157/101. when checked a 2nd time, both times it dropped a bit. Should he take an extra lisinopril now. He also has vertigo...those symptoms come and go. thank you, and HNY to you..
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your husband blood pressure values are above the normal ranges, which indicates that this dose of lisinopril is not very effective in controlling his high blood pressure.

For this reason, it is reasonable increasing the dose up to 20mg daily.

From the other hand, you should know that dizziness is a common adverse effect of lisinopril. Other possible causes of dizziness to consider are: uncontrolled high blood pressure, low blood flow to the brain due to vertebro-basilar insufficiency, thyroid gland dysfunction, an inner ear disorder, chronic degeneration of the cervical spine, etc..

For this reason, if the dizziness worsens after increasing the dose of lisionopril, it could be related to adverse effects of this drug. In such case switching to another drug would be needed.

If the dizziness persists at the same degree and is triggered by head or neck movements, I would recommend performing further tests to investigate for the possible underlying causes:

- a cervical spine X ray study
- a Doppler ultrasound of carotid and vertebral arteries
- complete blood count
- thyroid hormone levels
- fasting glucose
- blood lipid profile
- blood electrolytes.

Consulting with an ENT specialist may be needed in case of suspions on an inner ear disorder.

You should discuss with his doctor on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing a Happy New Year,

Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on