Should I worry about the twitching in thumb?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: My thumb has been twitching for a week now and its the 2nd time its done this, the first time it did it was 3 weeks ago it twitch for the whole week none stopped. But then one day it stopped, but now its doing it again. Should I be worried about it? Also I have twitching though out my body but not continuing.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: There is no need to worry about thumb twitching. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious neurological problem. Twitching of thumb is often related to over-strain, as happens with excessive computer use, or using a tool with hand, etc. It would generally subside with rest. Sometimes, muscle twitching could also occur due to a condition called as benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS). As the name suggests, it is a benign condition and it improves on its own. I hope my reply has helped. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/