Should I worry about no weight gain in 4 months pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hello doctor, my wife is 4 n half month pregnant. her gynac had asked her to do a blood test as antinatal profile. is this test is really necessary?... she is also not gaining weight. her weight is 58 kg, height is 5.5". she feels full all the time, don't get hungry. should she take some medicine for that?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal not to gain weight.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Most women in the early pregnancy are surprised to discover that not only are they not gaining weight, but are actually losing some.

The weight gain in the early pregnancy can be as low as 5 pounds total, and for some women, even a loss of a few pounds is normal.

The morning sickness and nausea contributes to that.
You should not worry as long as your ultrasound scan tells you that the baby is growing quite normally.

That is the most reliable indicator of a healthy pregnancy.

At present, do not focus on the weight gain / loss, as the actual weight gain might start showing up only in the fifth month onwards.
Do not have undue stress / anxiety, as that will negatively impact your fetus.
At 4th month there are few blood tests that are ordered to rule out any congenital malformations in the baby. The tests must be necessary as your gynecologist has recommended these. You can tell me the name of the tests for further details.
Take care, and enjoy your pregnancy.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal