Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Should I worry about a renal cyst?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12744 Questions
I am 50 yrs old 4' 10 and 135 pounds, I went to doctor with bladder infection, pain in left side front and back, I have been diagnosed with an 11-mm lower pole left renal cyst, is that something I really have to worry about? they say it measures 11 x 8 x 9mm
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
A single cyst in the lower pole of kidney is a harmless chance finding.
As people get older, sacs filled with fluid can form in the kidneys. These sacs are called "cysts." They are usually small oval or round thin-walled sacs with watery fluid in them.

Kidney cysts are almost always benign (not cancerous). Usually, the cysts don't cause any problems. In fact, people can go through life without even knowing that they have them.
Up to 50 percent of people older than 50 years of age have kidney cysts.
If the cyst becomes large, shows calcification, causes pain or blood in urine then it needs to be investigated and then removed.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should I worry about a renal cyst? 11 hours later
but since I get so many bladder infections and apparently this one spread to my kidneys, is this cyst causing my problems, this has been over a week and I am just now starting to feel better, and is the size of the 11mm bad? or is it something I just have to live with and it is no problem, I have had a complete hysterectomy because I had endometriosis and now I am having this problem, will I continue to keep having pain like this over the years if I don't have it drained or removed?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The renal cysts are usually asymptomatic. In your case, if it is producing pain, you can get it evaluated from a urologist and if the pain is actually due to the cyst it can be removed surgically. The cysts of 11mm rarely produces any symptoms and requires evaluation.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor