Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Should I visit a doctor for numbness in my arm?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1337 Questions
i am 21 and in good health but I have had fainting episodes before. although EKGs and other tests have been done nothing has been found. last night i woke up in at 3am and my left arm was completely numb, this has happened before but this time it didnt go away right away when i took pressure off of it. i started to get a little anxious and worried and i think i passed out for a few seconds while i was laying in bed. when i came to i was in a good sweat but then felt better and went back to bed. this morning though my arm still feels weird and i dizzy when walking around. should i go see another doctor or just drink some water and rest for the day??
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 10 hours later
Hi Lawestley,

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long have you been experiencing this?
2.) What is your Height and Weight?

Your History suggests, you have "Blacking Out" or Vasovagal Syncope. This is the most common cause of fainting and occurs when your body overreacts to triggers, such as the sight of blood or any kind of emotional distress.

The trigger results in vasovagal syncope episode which is a brief loss of consciousness caused by a sudden drop in your blood pressure and Heart Rate, which reduces blood flow Brain.

It is usually harmless and requires no treatment. However, you can injure yourself during such episode.

Get yourself examined by a Neurologist. Your Doctor will examine you and also, your doctor may recommend few tests to rule out more serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders. The Numbness in your arm, could also be due to Reduced blood supply.

Your Doctor may Prescribe you Blood Pressure Medications, Anti Depressants and Blood Vessel Constrictors, your treating Doctor will know better.

He/she may also suggest you Therapies to reduce pooling of Blood in your Legs, Like wearing compression stockings, tensing your leg muscles when standing and increasing salt in your diet if you don't have high blood pressure.

Avoid prolonged standing in hot places and drink plenty of fluids.

If you feel like you are going to have a Fainting Attack, lie down and lift your legs. This will increase the Blood flow to your brain. If you can't lie down, sit down and put your head between your knees until you feel better.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should I visit a doctor for numbness in my arm? 9 hours later
so it isnt too weird if my arm felt funny for a whole day and better but still a little weird the second day?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 13 hours later
Hello Lawestley,

Thank you for Writing Back.

It is a cause for concern, if you have had a Hand Numbness for a Whole day and continued for the second day with same intensity, as it could be due to,

1.) Reduced blood supply
2.) Nerve Compression

You will have to get yourself examined by a primary physician so that he/she may examine you and rule out the cause for your Numbness. Once it is found out, the treatment will depend upon the cause.

Sometimes the doctor may not find any cause then psychological reasons like anxiety are called. You may wait for one more day as the intensity of numbness seems to reduce slowly day by day.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should I visit a doctor for numbness in my arm? 7 hours later
great, thank you. the discomfort is decreasing with each day and almost gone today. do you think it is urgent that I see a doctor? Also, i am supposed to go on a camping trip in a few days, would you still recommend going and then just seeing a doctor when I come back?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hello Lawestley,

Thank you Once again for Writing Back.

If you feel that the Discomfort is coming down day by day, I don't think you require any Urgent Medical Attention. You can go ahead with your Trip and come back healthy.

After you are back home, you should pay a Visit to your Doctor so that He/She may examine you and rule out the exact pathology so that you can take Preventive Measures thereby reducing the chances of future recurrence.

Wish you Very Good Health.

Take Care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor