Should I take Imodium for stomach viral infection?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have stomach virus and also a headache. No fever and I am drinking fluids. Is Tylenol the best option for the headache? Also should I take imodium after 24 hours if symptoms continue
XXXXXXX XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 16 minutes later
Brief answer....you are doing good
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
You are doing absolutely correct by taking fluids since there is no need for any antibiotics because they are not needed for viral infections.
Tylenol is the best for the headache or fever.
As far as immodium is concerned,you can take it any time if number of stools are frequent,otherwise there is no need. Such type of viral infections generally last 3-4 days.
Just make sure to have enough fluids.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak