question-icon

Should I take Benzonatate while suffering form clogged ears accompanied by mild nasal and chest congestion?

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018
Question: I had a cold one month ago. I had to fly to Florida 3 days after it started. It was not the flu. I have never had an ear infection and I am 66 years old in good shape. But now I feel as though my ears are clogged as if coming off a plane. I took the Z-pak and it helped slightly. It appears it is viral. I use sinutab, and now my doctor friend told me from NY that if I have a slight cough (I have acid reflux occasionally) that I should try Benzotate.....YOur thoughts? I still have this congestion in the ear and mild congestion in nose and chest.....
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Sore throat with eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You have probably developed eustachian tube blockage caused by nasal congestion or throat infection and it was aggravated by the air travel that led to the pressure changes.
My advise is you should take a combination of levocetrizine plus phenylepherine twice daily and use xylometazoline nasal drops three times a day.
Take steam inhalation and chew a gum that will help to decongestant the eustachian tube and relieve symptoms.
Take all for a week.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist