Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Should I seek medical attention for food poisoning?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions
OK, I believe I have food poisioning. Twice in a week I have been vomiting with diarrhea. The first episode was 3 days ago and I got better and then it happen again today after eating some watermelon. This time I have a radiating pain on right side of my face along my jaw line. I just was able to keep a little food down hours later and I took 2 aleve. Do I need to seek medical attention or will this pass? Thanks
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
Food poisoning is common after having any contaminated food. Pain on the right side of face near jaw line does not seem to be associated with food poisoning.
Such pain may be due to a local inflammation of the ear or a referred dental pain.
You can take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for the pain right now. If it subsides then it is fine otherwise you need to visit your dentist and ENT surgeon to find out the cause of pain.
I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor