Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Should I go to the ER for extreme heartburn?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2581 Questions
should i go to the er for extreme heartburn? what will they do there?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 minutes later
hello, extreme heart burn in 21 year old male is mostly due to increase acid secretion in stomach, but we have seen young person complaining of this type of pain comes out to be heart origin. But before reached to any conclusion what want to know.. what is the exact location of pain what make it worse or better does it is related to exertion or food does this is associated to nausea or vomiting
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should I go to the ER for extreme heartburn? 10 minutes later
stomach a little in throat, i just got it after taking my meds, help its hurting so ba d
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Try antacid.... Detailed Answer: Hi, The pain seems to be due to GERD (heart burn). It should come down with antacid like tums. I would start proton pump inhibitor such as prilosec OTC once a day for a week as the treatment, before deciding to evaluate further. You can try tums and if needed prilosec OTC. If the pain remains same or if you start to sweat profusely and become breathless, you can proceed to the nearest ER. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should I go to the ER for extreme heartburn? 26 minutes later
what will they do at the er
Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Physical examination and if needed one EKG... Detailed Answer: Hi, If you are still in pain at the ER, I would perform the following set of actions: 1. Physical examine specially the chest and abdominal areas including (chest ausculation) would be the first action. 2. EKG and some blood test would follow if there is any suspicion of serious concern. 3. I would inject you with medicines to control acid secretions of the stomach. 4. You may be asked to wait at the ER where they would monitor you for couple of hours until you are asymptomatic before sending you home. In brief, based on your description I assume you will most likely be at home with a prescription from the ER doctors unless the pain doesn't respond well to injections. Therefore my suggestions to try tums and prilosec at home. Hope this helps. Let me know if you know if you need any other information. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor