Should I go for cyst removal to get pregnant?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Hi, I’m 41 years old and have never had a child. We are trying, and I just learned I have two fibroids – “3.8 x 4.2 x 3.8 cm in the posterior uterine body fibroid towards the right” and a “smaller 1/0 x .0.8 x 1.5 cm fibroid along the anterior uterine fundal region which is exophytic in appearance.” It is hard to tell from this report’s description whether the fibroids are in my uterus or inside the wall of the uterus. Can you tell? Would these need to be removed before getting pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Both the fibroids that you have are likely to be intramural (inside the wall of uterus). These are not distorting the endometrium hence there are no symptoms like excessive bleeding or cramps.
Such fibroids do not usually pose a problem in conception but the removal may be needed if the repeated trials for conception fail and all other hormonal reports are normal and both the tubes are patent.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
Thank you. Would a posterior fibroid be likely to cause back pain during pregnancy since fibroids usually grow during pregnancy. I already have chronic low back pain due to spondylolithesis (my two vertebrae tend to slip), and Im wondering if that may be a reason to remove as well. I currently notice pain during intercourse along with back pain flare ups. Have wondered if there could be a role played by fibroid depending on location.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The fibroids you have are not large enough to cause pressure symptoms or a back pain. The low back pain due to slipped disc may get aggravated during pregnancy due further posture problems associated with pregnancy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.