Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Should I get a mammogram for having twinges in my right breast inspite of my radical Hysterectomy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14950 Questions
I am having twinges in my right breast for the last week or so and I had a radical Hysterectomy late 2013. They have found a fibroid in my left breast that has been biopsied and been told is not cancerous. Should I go to get a mammogram?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: breast pain is uncommon in breast cancer Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic It is very understandable to be concerned when any pain at all is experienced in the breast but it is important to remember that breast cancer very very rarely presents with pain or discomfort. It is normally a painless. Fibroadenoma is a benign non cancerous lesion that can be found in the breast. It is made up of fibrous and glandular tissue. The abnormal sensations are likely neuropathy, this is related to abnormal structure or function of nerves. It can be central (related to the brain or spinal cord) or peripheral. In this case it would be termed peripheral neuropathy. It can be temporary in some cases. The most common causes are: trauma, vitamin b12 or folate deficiency, liver or kidney disease, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, idiopathic (the cause is not found). If the abnormal sensation continues then you can consider the mammogram to reassure yourself but as stated, breast cancer is one of the rarer causes of breast discomfort. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor