Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Should I consult a skin specialist or a gynecologist for itching and burning sensation in external vagina?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1197 Questions
Hi, I have question regarding the external vagina ( the groin area) itch I get almost every night. I am 24 year old married woman. I have had the same sex partner since beginning. I don't use any soaps around the genital area. I don't some or drink. I am not even on any medicine. I don't shave the genital area or use any cream on it, I trim it. The itching usually gets worst at night, the groin area itches and burns. I already have seen the doctors couple times but she does not seem to be able to figure out the exact cause of it. At first, I saw a doctor and she tested me and all and then said I had a allergic reaction to some soap or something. She prescribed me hydrocortisone. I used it couple time but it only helped me for that moment and then the symptoms came back again. For the second time, I visited the different doctor and then she tested me again. This time she said I had minor symptoms of vaginitis. She prescribed me a pill to eat for seven days (twice a day). I thought my symptoms would be better after 7 days but even that didn't help. I went back to that doctor and she examined me again and this time she said I have the fungal infection outside the vagina ( the groin area ) and that's what causing the itch. She prescribed me anti-fungal creme to use 7 days 3 time a day. I finished the cream and got a little better but after a week symptoms came back. I ordered the refill of the prescription and used the cream again it helped for couple weeks and now the itch is back again. I have no idea what is going on. I am confused on what to do now.. whether to go buy that fungal cream again or visit a different doctor. I have to say it is extremely inconvenient and expensive to keep visiting the doctors and not getting cured. I am not sure what is going on because whatever I do symptoms come back after a few weeks. I don't even know what type of doctor I should visit to get this cured. I visited the regular doctor. Do i need to see a skin specialist or a gynecologist for this?. Any ideas on what could be doing on with me? I don't have diabetes either. I even got that tested recently!
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please consult skin specialist Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for sending in your query. Itching in the external vagina region is most likely due to ring worm infection. This infection usually affects the groin and external genitals and due to constant itching also shows a particular skin change. This is a fungal infection and you should see a skin specialist to confirm your condition. It is true that the infection is being controlled by application of antifungal creams but I guess you need to take additional precautions to prevent it from relapsing. Some of the steps you can take are keeping your genital area clean and dry and free from moisture. You may wear loose cotton inner wear and also try not to wear inner wear at night for a few days after application of cream. It is important that your husband also gets checked up for groin ring worm infection take treatment if he is also facing similar problems. Please not that both of you avoid sexual contact for the duration you are getting treated. If you find that the anti fungal cream is working, you may continue application but I suggest that you first confirm the condition with a skin specialist. I hope this helps. Do write back in case of doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor