Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Should I consult a doctor for shooting pain in my arm and lumps below my wrist after a fall?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Hi. About a week ago I fell over landing on both my hands. Now I have a lump just below my wrist which throbs now and again ,and also shoots pain along my arm but not constant. It is also a little sore to touch. Should I go to docs?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could be possibly a HEMATOMA (Blood clot) Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on your description, most possibly it could be Hematoma. Generally, small hematoma's will resolve spontaneously within 2-3 weeks and will not lead to other problems. An xray of the involved and painful area is needed to rule out any underlying bony injury. The general treatment guidelines for Hematoma resolution are as follows - - Rest the injured joint . Avoid any activity that produces pain - Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the painful swollen area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day. Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day - Use an elastic compression bandage around the swollen area to limit any swelling and movement. It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow. - Keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling. - Oral anti-inflammatory medications (such as Aleve or Motrin) can help relieve symptoms of pain and also calms the inflammation. If the symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further examination and management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor