Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Should I consult a ENT specialist or general physician for cough?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
My wife has been having cough for the last few weeks. We went to see a general practitioner and was given a cough syrup and suggested we did a CBC with ESR blood test a and a chest XRAY. We thought, in the beginning, that we will only take the medicine and see what happens. Even after taking 2 files of the medicine, it did not improve. So we took the tests. The chest xray is normal. The blood test has 2 things which are abnormal. RDW reads as 16.5 and ERYTHROCYTE SEDIMENTATION RATE is 36. My question is what do we do now? Her coughing is getting worse by the day. Do we see a ENT Specialist or go for the general practitioner/
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Pulmonologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The increased ESR indicates that sh harbors an infection which needs a course of better antibiotics to get cured. I suggest you to consult a Pulmonologist who after examining her can put her on suitable antibiotics to treat her. Also do give her steam inhalations which will provide some relief. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor