Should I be worried for blisters around the stitching site?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had stitches and now have blisters around and on the stitchnanes
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for writing in

The blisters around the stitching site and surrounding area are mostly caused by the friction of the bandages or infections. To cure these we have to do daily dressing of the wound and prevent the further infection by antibiotic coverage.

Broken blisters that are leaking fluid should be disinfected and bandaged. Before bandaging the wound, an antibiotic ointment should be applied. The application of antibiotic gel will kill of infecting bacteria after the applications and accelerate the healing process. If the bandages get wet, reapply the antibiotic ointment and redress the blisters.

Unbroken blisters that are painful should be pricked with a sterile needle and drained. Small blisters that are not painful should be left alone because the best protection against infection is the blister’s own skin. These will heal by themselves and will be reabsorbed in a few days.

Feel free to consult your treating doctor and proper antibiotic and aseptic dressing. Your doctor is the best person to explain you about the condition of the wound.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back for any follow up query.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow up: Dr. Kulbir Singh 56 minutes later
the wound seems to be healing with nothing draining. cut is on right hand across knuckles 15 stitches. hand is swollen a bit as long as i do not have ointment on it it does not itch or hurt. tne blisters started a way from the stiches. thought maybe i am allergic to antibiotic ointment (neosporin or polysporin)
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 57 minutes later
Hello and thanks again
Good to listen that the wound is healing properly without any infection. But the draining of fluid may occur from the blisters that had appeared. The blister need a proper care to heal properly as described in previous reply. In addition to this keep the hand raised till the swelling reduces. Reduction in swelling will automatically helps in healing of the blisters. Swelling may be one of the cause for the blister formation.
As per the allergy to antibiotic ointment is concern your may apply other antibiotic creams which suits you and help in healing. Proper aseptic dressing with sterile dressing material is sufficient if no antibiotic ointment suits you.

Hope this will hep you. Write back for any doubt.
Dr. Kulbir Singh