Should I be worried about the findings of HIV and viral load test?

Posted on Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi doctor i had hiv test the result was 0.13 is this positive and the lab result said positie and again i gave my blood work for viral load test i was tested dec 3 2013. i had before also April 2013 the index valu was 0.05. tell diffrence.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: More than cut off positive, less is negative Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. Each laboratory test has a cut off value which would be marked by the manufactures. It may vary according the various kits marketed by different manufactures. If your test value is above this cut off value then the result of the test is considered positive.If the test value is below this cut of value then the result is negative for this test. This is the interpretation. We need not bother about the exact values, only have to look for whether it is higher or lower than the cut off value. I hope you got the point. If you have any more doubts feel free to ask me. Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist