question-icon

Should I be worried about the appearance of polyps and adenoma when colonoscopies are requested intermittently?

Posted on 6 days ago
Question: Dear Dr.
I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and they found 4 polyps. One or more was found to be an adenoma. (I don't have cancer) but they told me that now I had to have a colonoscopy every five years. Should I be worried? What am I doing wrong? I don't drink or smoke. What lifestyle changes can you recommend so that it doesn't come back? I prefer the advice of a doctor than to the conflicting stuff I read on Google.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Colonic polyps

Detailed Answer:

Adenomatous colonic polyps are benign and their potential to turn malignant is very low (less than 1 percent).
Individuals with colonic polyps are at risk for developing polyps in the future. That is why screening every 5 years is recommended to look for recurrence. A polyp developed in the colon requires almost 10 years to turn malignant. So early screening at 5 years gives ample time to remove any polyps that have developed
You don't have to be worried about this too much. How ever, these are few lifestyle measures to be followed to prevent recurrence of polyps
-Eat fiber rich diet like oat, XXXXXXX rice to a CNN of constipation
-Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet
-limit red meat consumption. Rely on chicken, Turkey, fish, soy. Almonds etc as your protein source

Hope this answers your question
Please let me know if you need further clarification
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (39 hours later)
Dear Dr,

Thanks. That was reassuring.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
And thank you for trusting us with your health query
Please feel free to address any more questions or concerns here
Wishing you good health
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal