Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

129 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Should I be worried about swollen lymph nodes behind ear?

Answered by
Dr. Das Arindam

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1416 Questions

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: The lymph nodes behind my ear are swollen should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, a lymph node may get enlarged due to many causes. Most commonly, there is reactive hyperplasia of the lymph node due to infection. Here infection of oral mucosa, any skin infection may be considered. Even, presence of dandruff can lead to this type of conditions.

To differentiate these causes from each other you need to visit a general physician. A thorough clinical examination including shape, size, mobility, consistency of the lymph node should be noted. If any infection found that should be treated by proper antibiotics. If course of antibiotics cannot give any relief, a fine needle aspiration cytology can be considered. If that also becomes non contributory, then surgical excision should be considered.

So, you should visit a general physician for clinical examination.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Lymphatic system

doctor1 MD

hello doctor recently i was diagnosed with shingles and i was cured but as soon as i was cured during the past three days my shoulder lymph nodes have swollen up , heat rate increases and nerves on one side weak so much so i cannot balance myself on one side on one leg

doctor1 MD

I have had swelling in the upper left part of my arm for nearly 2 months. My neck and collar bone are now swollen as well. I have left side upper back pain, and in the back of my left leg. Leg foot swells up and down depending on the day but everything else stays consitantly swollen. Extensive testing has been done (MRI s for MS, upper back MRI, chest x-ray, lupus, scardiosis, etc and everything is normal). I do have an elevated white blood cell count (12,500) upset somtach, some stomache ache, extreme fatigue and I just overall do not feel good. Any ideas?

doctor1 MD

I have red rash on my scalp, near the crown, associated with swollen lymph glands behind both ears. I am having dental work (root canal in stages on upper molars, both sides) performed since this past weekend. The redness of the scalp has become tender, itchy and flaky within the last couple of days. Since Sunday, the first day of treatment of one tooth, the lymph nodes swelling in the neck has decreased but not entirely disappeared. On Sunday, I had bloodwork done at an emergency hospital and the physician could not see any infection. Thank you for your time.

doctor1 MD

I have a swollen lymph node in my leg for a month. Started of with no pain. Now there is pain on the sude of my knee where the lymph node Is. The pain wraps around to the back of my leg, and Runs down to my ankle. Also there is alot of weakness Making it hard to walk. My leg is extremly heavy feeling as Well. I am also conscerned about it being a clot I did not have any injury to my leg. The lymph node has Been there a month, with pain for 2 Weeks.

doctor1 MD

I have had hard swollen lymphnodes for over 5 years now. I have had them biopsied before and all was negative. i have 4 in my check all 2 cms and one 3.5cms. I also have about 6 on each side of my groin, and a few in my armpits. No doctor knows...

doctor1 MD

I am having a strange issue. First off I am an off and on iv drug user of methamphetamine . And a little background I'm 30 y/o and have no known illnesses except hsv1 and heterozygous factor v Leiden . I take prescribed med clonazepam as needed no...

doctor1 MD

My mother is almost 90. She had surgery on her foot. But, in the last two weeks she gained over twenty pounds of, we think, water, what should we do?