Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Should I be concerned for renal cysts along with abdominal pain and frequent urination?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 495 Questions
My father is 54 year old and we got his sonography done since he had stomach pains once in 3 months and felt feverish.we found he has two cysts at mid pole in left kidney and one in lower pole in right kidney measuring 12 mm - 16 mm.His glucose creatin is all normal .kidney function also normal creatin 0.87.some pus cells are observed in urine and he needs frequent urination at it cause of concern.kidney size is right 9.8 * 4.4 and left 10.5 * 5.1
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Need to monitor Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for sending in your query. A renal cyst is a fluid filled cavity in the kidney. The exact reason why it forms is not known. From the reports, your father appears to have simple renal cysts. Simple renal cysts are observed frequently in normal kidneys. Their prevalence increases with age. As many as 20% of the individuals above the age of 60 may show a renal cyst. Majority of the simple renal cysts are asymptomatic. In very rare cases they may rupture and produce abdominal pain or bleeding from urine. Your father has cyst which are too small to produce any signs or symptoms. So I do not think that the abdominal pain can be attributed to this finding. There is no medical treatment available or required for simple renal cysts. However what is required is periodic monitoring. We should repeat an ultrasound in a year or so to see the status of the cyst. However your father also has fever, increased urinary frequency and pus cells in the urine. This could be due to UTI. I would recommend a urine culture test to confirm the diagnosis. I hope this was helpful. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. Regards Dr. Aditya Bhabhe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should I be concerned for renal cysts along with abdominal pain and frequent urination? 27 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply .It was very useful.Also we are noticing his weight has decreased little bit and he has had high BP during last few weeks .95- 135 .He has never had any BP problems in past.Also there is bit puffiness around his eyes.Attaching his urine report as we'll if you notice anything serious please let me know .The cholesterol is all normal.sugar is normal , kidney function is normal.
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 21 hours later
Brief Answer: See detailed answer Detailed Answer: Hi again His urine analysis shows presence of pus cells and RBCs. This is often seen in UTI. So as I said before, we should do a urine culture test. Based on the results we can formulate further treatment. If he has persistent facial puffiness I would recommend the following tests: Blood urea and creatinine to know about kidney function. TSH to know about thyroid function. If blood pressure remains on the higher side, I would suggest cutting back on the salt intake in the diet and monitoring the BP levels. If they remain high, he may need an anti-hypertensive medication. Hope this was helpful I will be happy to provide answers to any other questions which you may have Regards Dr Bhabhe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor