Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Should I be concerned about mildly elevated BP?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Hello Dr. I am 40 Years of age and i have just tested my BP at home using electronic BP machine .. And it is 135 / 95.. My wife is just worried is it ok at the age of 40 years or is it high and do i need to take any precautions in my daily life or is there any thing serious.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 55 minutes later
Brief answer...need changes in your lifestyle Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks or the query. There is no need to get worried about this. Your BP is definitely high but it is mild and can be managed by simple changes in your lifestyle,like... Reduce your weight Reduce the salt intake  Reduce consumption of fatty foods,greasy goods and sweets Take more of fresh fruits and green vegetables Do some regular aetobic exercises for 45 minutes a day Do yoga,meditation and deep breathing exercises for mental relaxation. There is no need for any anti hypertension medicines at the moment. Generally a person is able to control his blood pressure by these lifestyle changes. If a person is unable to bring his blood pressure down to normal in six months time,then it would be advised to have some medication. Get yourself tested for diabetes,lipid profile and hypothyroidism. Your goal should be to bring your BP to around 120/80 mm of Hg. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks  
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor