Should I be concerned about fluctuations in calcium levels?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 6 Dec 2018 in Cancer
Question: Hello,

I am a 32 year old healthy and very physically fit male. I frequently do blood work, either privately or through my PCP, to monitor my overall health. My CBC's and metabolic panels have always been normal. However, in looking at my blood work over the past 4 years, I noticed that my calcium levels have fluctuated, and at one point 2.5 years ago they were high at 10.3 (high according to certain sources):
May 2015: 10.3
November 2015: 9.8 XXXXXXX 2016: 9.4
July 2017: 9.2
August 2017: 9.9
September 2017: 10.0

The other metabolic panel numbers with the above tests were all very normal. I have no symptoms of any kind. My PCP never mentioned my calcium levels or expressed any concern about these.

My questions are:
1. Should I be concerned about the fluctuations in calcium levels?
2. Should I be concerned about the upward trend from 9.2 to 10.0 in 3 months?
3. Does this suggest possible myeloma? (That's my primary fear, thanks to reading on the internet!).
4. I'm in a particularly busy and stressful time in my life and do not have time to see my PCP at the moment. Given this, is it necessary to do further testing to see what my calcium levels are currently at (the last reading of 10.0 was 5 months ago).

Thank you so much for your expertise and time!

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. There is nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:

Calcium levels can range from 8.5 to 10.5 and vary from day to day depending upon albumin level of the body. We don't diagnose myeloma based on elevated calcium only.

Your levels are normal. There is no need for further calcium testing.

You should be relaxed.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal
Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T