Should I be concerned about a bite by vaccinated dog?

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
Dog bites? My dog bite me today on the back of my leg. I'm not bleeding but it broke the skin minor. The dog has all its shots and in good health. What would you recommend?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you do not suspect rabies, vaccination optional

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Thnaks for coming to HealthCareMagic. Firstly, I want to make sure you have given adequate First Aid to the wound. Is the skin broken? Make sure you clean the area with soap and water and make sure the wound is dressed with an antiseptic like neosporin and clean gauze.

If the wound is very deep then you need to get to your local emergency services provider / ER / Urgent Care Clinic. It will need to be cleaned and sutured so you that has to be done sooner rather than later.

Now when it comes to the specific issue of Rabies prevention. Let me say that the SIMPLEST rule of thumb is that you should get a rabies booster after every bite. On the other hand, if you know the animal well and have no reason to suspect that it may have Rabies itself (extreme aggression, frothing at the mouth), then you can take the risk and avoid the injection. In my opinion however, better to get the booster.

I hope this helps. Feel free to follow-up

Vinay