Should HIV antibody test be repeated?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 2 Jul 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have taken hiv antibody test at 2 week and at 5 week and 5 days, 7 weeks and 4 day pcr test, and than after 4th generation test at 10 week and 3 day. my question is do i need to repeat the test or is it conclusive no test needed what can you advise me.
i have taken some antibiotic and since then i have sore on my face and painful body and painful throat fill very tired the symptoms started at 10 April
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to repeat HIV testing....

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

If all your HIV testing (including PCR) were negative, then, no need to repeat the testing anymore.

Antibiotics are used when bacterial infection is suspected. Therefore, if you have been diagnosed with tonsillitis (angina), and took antibiotics since April, then, you need to take another course of antibiotic.

Next, feeling your face sore, and painful body and throat might be related to:
- upper respiratory tract infection
- infection of sinuses
- throat infection

either bacterial or viral. Having inadequate diet together with being work-overloaded and stressed out might be possible other causes.

I advise to:
- take good hygiene of your mouth/throat
- take multivitamin supplementation
- eat healthy foods
- exercise more
- sleep well (go to bed at around 10 pm)
- have frequent warm bathes
- take acetaminophen or other OTC painkillers to get pain relieved

If symptoms will persist, should get checked by an ENT specialist for further evaluation.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
doctor i forget to ask you when i took my pcr test i was on antibiotic will that effect the result and also the 4th generation.and my wife is so worried about this she want to no if we can have normal sex from after 10 weeks of been tested.

i am sorry but is my wife want to no if she has to be confident with does results
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried about...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

I understand your worries. Antibiotic you took does not interfere with the PCR test. Antibiotics are fighting bacteria and not virus.

As all the tests resulted negative, there is nothing to be worried about. You do not have HIV and are not a carrier. So, there is no reason to have a normal sexual life.

Although I think you should not repeat the tests as they were clearly NEGATIVE.

All the best and enjoy life. Being fatigued does not necessarily mean that you have HIV. A common viral infection might be the cause.

Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 minutes later
thank you for all the advise you have told me.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Most welcomed....

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You're welcomed!

If no other question, kindly close this discussion and rate my answer!

All the best to both of you and your wife!

Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 49 minutes later
doctor another gum clinic told me that i shall take test at 12 weeks to be conclusive what shall i believe.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To my opinion,conclusion is already made...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

To my opinion, if you had PCR test (which detects virus since 2 weeks after exposure) and it resulted negative, it is already concluded "NO HIV".

However, to put your wife at peace and not to get more stressed, you can take that test at 12 weeks. To me, the conclusion is already done. However, you can discuss it further with an infectious disease specialist or with your family doctor which have your full medical history.

All the best!